Starting a business is a massive undertaking, but what most people don’t realize is that the legal side of starting a business is one of the easiest parts.
First let me please note that I am not affiliated with a government agency or in a profession that can offer legal advice on this matter. Please check your local and state requirements yourself to ensure that you have completed all necessary steps. You can research what’s needed for your specific region on the US Small Business Administration
1) Attain proper experience and equipment
2) Choose if you will be operating as a sole proprieter or an LLC before applying for your license (if you are applying as an LLC there are additional steps which must be taken. I recommend using a company such as Legal Zoom to undergo the process for you
2) Obtain a BUSINESS LICENSE
3) Register a DBA (doing business as) name for your business
4) Obtain a SELLERS PERMIT from the State Board of Equalization (BOE)
5) If you plan on having employees, you will need to obtain an EIN. If you are a sole proprietor, you may use your social security number for taxes instead and may skip this step
6) Obtain business general liability insurance and business property insurance on any equipment
See? Easier than you thought! Now on to the hard part of growing your dream into a sustainable business…that’s a little harder.